Searching for Hotels
Booking a Hotel Reservation
- Do I have to be an eLong member to reserve a hotel?
- How many days in advance do I need to make a successful reservation?
- Can I make a same-day booking?
- How many rooms can I book in one booking?
- Can I make a hotel reservation for someone else?
- How do I take care of special requests (e.g. smoking/non-smoking, accessibility)?
- How can I pay for my reservations?
- After making a reservation online, how much time is needed before I receive a confirmation?
- What should I do if I do not receive a confirmation after making a reservation?
- Do I need any special documents to check into an international hotel in Hong Kong or Macau?
- How do I contact eLong if I have a travel concern while traveling in Hong Kong or Macau?
- I am not based in mainland China. What are the requirements to make travel reservations through eLong?
eLong member, booking time, number of rooms
1. Do I have to be an eLong member to reserve a hotel?
Absolutely not. Non-members can skip the sign-in process for hotel reservation transactions. However, we encourage frequent travelers to create an account. As an eLong member, you can enjoy exciting privileges like redeemable eLong points and receive the best deals through our email newsletter. Also, having passenger information recorded in your eLong account will make future reservations faster and smoother.
2. How many days in advance do I need to make a successful reservation
We advise you to make your reservations 2 weeks in advance. During peak seasons, booking 1 month ahead should be sufficient. Note that, since room rates change constantly, bookings made too far in advance may not be confirmed by the hotel.
3. Can I make a same-day booking?
Yes. In order to check-in to a room today, the reservation should usually be completed before 6:00pm. based on local time in the city where you are interested in staying. However, many hotels allow later reservations.
4. How many rooms can I reserve in one booking?
You can reserve up to five hotel rooms at one time. Remember, though, that by selecting the maximum, you are limiting your search results. For example, we cannot guarantee that all guests will stay in rooms next to or near each other. When a booking consists of multiple room reservations, they will all be held under the first guest name indicated at the time of your booking. If you would like to have additional room/s reserved under a name other than the one you originally indicated, please call eLong after making the reservation, but before checking in, to change the names for the other rooms. Hotels will often not allow guests to check in to a reserved room unless it is either listed under the name of the individual indicated at the time of booking or the guest is accompanying that person at check-in.
1. Can I make a hotel reservation for someone else?
Definitely, yes. On the Guest Information page, you will need to enter a guest name for each room that you book. Upon check in, the guest will need to present a valid ID and credit card - both should match the name under which the room is reserved. Hotels may require a credit card authorization to guarantee payment of any incidental charges that you or your guest may incur during the stay. The amount of available credit needed will vary by hotel. Hotels may also allow cash deposits to secure any incidental costs if a credit card is unavailable.
2. How do I take care of special requests (e.g. smoking/non-smoking, accessibility)?
Special requests should be submitted through our Customer Service agents only. We will contact the hotel to confirm availability. Please note that special guest requests are fulfilled on a best-effort basis and are not usually guaranteed by the hotel. Some special requests may also incur additional fees.
3. How can I pay for my reservations?
In most cases, no upfront payment is required to book a hotel with eLong. After your reservation has been confirmed, you can usually simply pay the hotel directly upon check out. However, during peak seasons, festivals or large-scale exhibitions, hotel rooms are in great demand and hotels may change their booking policies. You might, for example, be required to submit your credit card information to guarantee your room. If you then fail to check in on time, charges will often be deducted from your credit card according to the individual hotel policy. During normal periods, some hotels accept upfront payment with discount rates, which usually save you a lot, but often come with more restricted cancellation and change policies.
4. After making a booking online, how much time is needed before I get a confirmation?
The confirmation period differs among hotels. After we receive your online reservation, we contact the hotel as soon as possible. Most of our bookings will receive an instant confirmation. If not, the confirmation period is usually within 2hours. If you fail to receive a confirmation within 2 hours or have other reservation questions, please feel free to email our Customer Service center or call our reservation hotlines at 4006-171717 (inside mainland China) or +86-10-8457-7827 (in other areas of the world).
5. What should I do if I did not get a confirmation after booking?
If you fail to receive a confirmation within 2 hours or have other reservation questions, please feel free to email our Customer Service center or call our reservation hotlines at 4006-171717 (inside mainland China) or +86-10-8457-7827 (in other areas of the world).
1. Do I need any special documents to check into an international hotel in Hong Kong or Macau?
You will usually need to present a valid credit card, issued in the guest's name, for guarantee of hotel incidental charges (e.g. phone calls or room service). Debit cards are usually not acceptable. A valid passport or other government ID, issued in the reserved guest's name, is also required for check-in. Note that all hotels usually request identification and proof of citizenship. This can be established by presenting either a passport or a driver's license and an original (or a certified copy) of a birth certificate.
2. How do I contact eLong if I have a travel concern while traveling in the two cities?
You can call us at 4006-171717 (if you are still in mainland China) or +86-10-8457-7827 (in other areas). Please keep in mind that regular toll charges may apply for these numbers.
3. What are the requirements to make international travel reservations in China through eLong if I am not currently based in China?
We recommend checking your visa and passport to ensure they are current and valid prior to making reservations on our web site. Generally, a passport cannot be used for international travel within six months before its expiry date. For P.R.C. visa requirements, application forms and other travel information, visit the China government site at http://english.gov.cn. For information on Hong Kong, visit the Hong Kong Immigration Department site at http://www.immd.gov.hk/index.html. For information on Macau, visit http://www.gov.mo/egi/Portal/index.jsp. Hotels usually require a credit card and a passport or government ID and proof of citizenship (passport or birth certificate), and the ID and credit card should match the guest name under which the room is reserved. Hotels will require a credit card authorization to guarantee payment of any incidental charges you may incur during your stay. Incidental charges such as parking, local phone calls, room service, resort fees, convention fees, etc. are payable directly to the hotel upon check out. Once you reserve a hotel with eLong, we recommend that you contact the hotel directly to ask about additional charges for any extra facilities you intend to use.